Monday, February 2, 2009

Electric Elettaria


Oftentimes fusion food can be soooooo contrived and predictable. So I was presently surprised by Elettaria, where I finally dined on Sunday after much anticipation. Chefs Akhtar Newab and Noel Cruz seem to be more influenced by their Asian-American (India and Philippines, respectively) upbringings more than by a specific desire to cook “fusion” food. The first generation boys use the spices of their respective homelands, while still acknowledging their American upbringings.


I had the triggerfish with sunchoke fondue, ravoli and papadum. When’s the last time you had that at a fusion restaurant? I’m guessing never, which is exactly what I loved about Elettaria. The combination of European, American, and Indian elements was well-executed and blended in such a way I hardly thought of it as fusion. I finished off with the milk doughnuts served with ginger custard and chai gelato. I was licking the plate clean it was so good.


Tres delicious.


Elettaria, 33 West 8th Street, New York, NY. Tel: 212-677-3833 www.elettarianyc.com



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: